Tuesday, July 15, 2008

WALL-E and Tuesday World Championships




The girls and I went to the theatre today and caught the Disney/Pixar movie, WALL-E. It was a pretty good film. Tatum really like it while Reese was just ok with it. For a film that had no real talking that was an hour and half long, I would give it a three quarters thumbs up. The graphics were excellent and it did have some funny parts, but just wasn't super like I expected. Kids 5 and up would like it.


I was also able to do my second Tuesday Night World Championships this evening. Todd and Liz came by and watched the girls so I could go up to Carondolet and race. I started out in the front right off the bat. On the second lap of the race, their was a terrible crash and the race was stopped so the carnage could be cleared. Luckily I was in the front and stayed out of the mess. I am sure that no-one was seriously hurt, althought one of the female Big Shark racers injured her wrist and completely mangled her bike. It looked like one ICCC guy was down for a while as well.


After the restart the race took off pretty fast. I stayed near the front for the next 30 minutes or so. I have ridden 6 days in a row and 9 of the last 10. My legs felt good except for the pain in the right calf. On the second to last lap, a group of Sharks went to the front and really broke up the race. Normally it is a complete clusterF, but the guys really put the hammer down and left the pretneders in the back of the pack. I was about 2 bikes off them and then caught on the last uphill. I finished with a decent sprint and ended up 13th. It was a hot one with the temps in the low 90's around race time. Luckily the humidity was low. My gps said that I averaged 24.2 mph. It is a little slower than normal, but that was fine with me this evening. My goal is to finish in the top 5 at all four races at the Gateway Cup over Labor Day weekend.


I have also started reading a book by Mark Twain entitled, Life on the Mississippi. It is one of his earliest writings about working on a steamboat on the mighty Miss. The orginal copyright is 1883.


No comments: