Thursday, July 31, 2008

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES



I had tons of stuff to do this evening, but nothing seemed as important as watching one of my favorite westerns of all time. The other one that is in my top five films of all time is Dances With Wolves. I don't consider it in the same category as this film. Outlaw is a true classic western with lots of killing and shooting. Dances has more to offer in regards to history of the US and Native American peoples. Outlaw does a great job portraying Native Americans in a positive light as well.
If you have never seen The Outlaw Josey Wales, then go rent it now! Adapted on screen in 1976, it is the greatest western of my time. A Missouri farmer during the Civil War loses his whole family when they are murdered by Kansas redlegs. Josey then goes on a rampage all over the West seeking revenge on those who killed his love ones. The film has tons of good actors, but no character is better then Chief Lone Wanie. 80 yrs old at the time, Chief almost steals the show from Clint Eastwood. I won't give more details about the film, hoping that those of you who do read my crazy ramblings will check it out.
My favorite quotes from the films are:
Josey tells Chief that people he likes don't seem to hang around that long. Cheif precedes to tell him, people that Josey doesn't like don't seem to stick around that long either.
The other is when Josey tells Sandra Lockes character who is from Kansas that they have three suns in Kansas. They have sunsets, sunflowers and sons a bit**es. Classic.
I don't know when I first saw this film. I was born in '73, so it must have been in the early eighties when I first caught it. I believe I saw it with my Dad. I know he liked this film as well. I am sure it was played on WGN or TBS quite often back in the early days of cable.
Honorable mentions for westerns would be: Silverado, Tombstone, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Young Guns and my favorite Australian Western- The Man from Snowy River- Rent this if you have never seen it!
I need to get to bed.
Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

neptuanna
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/athletes-foot]athletes foot[/url]
borbeiceNeege